Instagram

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Thought On Mediocrity

Celebrating mediocrity stunts potential greatness. I think it is a shame that all too often, humans live and die without becoming masters of something. Few truly know excellence when they see it because very few have worked hard enough to experience it.

When I began taking lessons from a master pianist when I was 13 years old, my life was transformed. I was thrust into a world of high competition, masterful music, and expert performers. My teacher demanded hours of practice each day and was not satisfied unless I had exhausted my all to the instrument each week. Self-pity ensued on many an occasion and I failed countless times, yet I became ignited by something. Heavy practice was required, but gradually I began to see that I was producing bits of perfection. Through the hardship, I was progressing. I tasted excellence. Four years later I was winning competitions and receiving superior ratings in performances. I knew I could never again be content with mediocrity because I was now a witness of excellence.

Throughout my childhood I never received many harsh corrections or critique from teachers inside and outside of school, and I received many a participation ribbon regardless of my effort level or achievement. As I grew older, I was advised to become “well-rounded” and was constantly told not to “push myself too hard.” I believe these kinds of practices have resulted in a global culture where any kind of critical appraisal is considered inappropriate and excellence is rare. This foundational mindset is instilled in individuals during their youth, and by the time they are grown it has been buried courtesy of society by the incessant assurances that their incompetence is completely acceptable.

J.K. Rowling spoke with truth when she said, “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.”

One simply cannot be “well-rounded” and become a master gymnast, violinist, artist, mathematician, etc. If what they were doing were easy, everyone would do it.

We are told we are “special,” yet this only enables children and adults to further indulge in self-entitlement. Because mediocrity is treated in such a way, people are content in believing that their work is perfectly adequate, and they make no further efforts to progress. In reality, their ability to recognize weakness is impaired.


I certainly do not mean to suggest that we all be heartlessly frank with our fellows. However, it is rather difficult to set a high standard of achievement for anyone if critique is withheld out of fear for impropriety. I believe there must be a greater distinction between what is mediocrity and what is excellence; otherwise, greatness will cease to exist.