Instagram

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Ethereal Music: La Mer

Claude Debussy. There's just something about his music that is truly otherworldly. I usually don't choose favorites, but I must say, Debussy would be on my list of top ten favorite composers. This song. This song is absolutely incredible. It is called "La Mer," or "The Sea."


I first heard it with one of my dear friends played live by the Phoenix Symphony in concert. It brought me to tears and gave me chills at nearly every swell and resolution and powerful chord. I loved each and every one of those three movements. It was, however, the very first movement that best painted the picture of the sea, brought back childhood memories of the ocean, and pierced my heart.

Imagine it as you listen. It is the early morning. The sun is beginning to rise over the horizon. The sand is glistening like diamonds. The waves are as smooth and as shining as silver. The ocean is waking up, and you are a blessed witness. As you listen, you'll hear it grow brighter and brighter. You'll hear the soft sand and the foamy waves and the growing height of the swells of water. At the end of this piece, you'll hear the sun come up. You'll hear the ocean basking in the light and the crashing waves and the golden sand. 

That's the thing about music like this. You can hear what you would see. You can hear a story without words having ever been uttered. You can hear thoughts and textures and colors and emotions and pictures without ever having to open your eyes or reach out your hands. Try it. I promise it will change your life.



"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." 
-Victor Hugo

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." 
-Plato

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy."
-Ludwig von Beethoven