Instagram

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mud and Piano


(This poem was hastily written on my iPhone in complete and utter frustration while I sat at the piano. I was preparing for the AZ Young Artists' Piano Competition at the time.) 


Why is Time so difficult to endure
When I attempt to practice?
I yearn to reach the final shore; 
Get the grade, make the team,
Make the money, get the prize.
I want to reach that shore and be safe
Yet I cannot when I practice. 
The finish lines are infinite; Excellence is a lifelong pursuit. 
My brain is aching
From the constant pressure of my doubts and wonderings
Where must I go?
Why am I striving for this?
What must I do 
To get this measure perfect
And this run even
And this melody flawless
Who must I become?
What is my purpose?
When will the end come
Where I perfect the measure
And nail the run each time 
And beautify the melody 
I sit there in front of the piano staring 
At the black and white and black and white
Notes and keys, familiar to me.  
I stand on the shore. 
It is time to begin my practice, 
Yet Time is a shallow sea of mud;
I cannot see the other side, 
Yet I am compelled to walk through it. 
I want to reach the opposite shore of Time's mud bog
I want to conquer it;
Get the grade, make the team,
Make the money, get the prize.
I slide in and begin to walk. 
Knee deep in thick sludge
I move with heaving and groaning 
And each step nearly yanks my legs out of their sockets,
Mud sucking and squelching. 
I am covered in the slime already
I squint in an attempt to view the other side of the brown 
And black and white 
Sea of mud that is Time to practice
I continue pulling and trudging in agony 
I continue drilling measures and reviewing specific passages 
I am now too tired to go on, 
My muscles and mind aching. 
I twist around to see the shore I have come from;
I expect to have traveled miles and hours.
Only 20 feet lay between myself and that first shore -
Only an hour of practicing has transpired -
I am done. That was seemingly all for naught. 
Where is the prize of my labors? 
Why have I exhausted myself so early in my efforts? 
I trudge on.