Instagram

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Be Still and Know

"If the Lord had something to tell you, and I testify that He does, when would he have the time to be able to do it?"


This really struck me when I heard it this past Sunday.

I know God has much to tell me. I talk to my friends and family all the time. I make time every single day for those people who are meaningful for me. But what time do we take in order to have those meaningful conversations with our Heavenly Father? If I knew that an omnipotent, all-knowing and all-powerful being wanted to tell me something, I would be making time available as fast as I possibly could. He gives instruction and guidance through many sources: scriptures and great works of literature, thoughts and impressions, prophets and revelation, friends and family, etc. But what if He needed to give me a more sacred answer. A certain something that could only be found if I was still. I would need to show that I was ready to receive an answer by clearing out time to devote to "remembering Him." I need to have dedicated pondering, meditation, and prayer.

"Be still, and know that I am God:
I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." 
Psalms 46:10


"Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands
Be still and know that I am God." 
Doctrine and Covenants 101:16

Making these places and times of peace and pondering amid the flow of distraction in our lives is crucially important to our spiritual well being. Now, I had heard this said many, many times. I love those scriptures as well. The phrase "Be still, and know that I am God" is really quite stirring. But I didn't truly understand the significance of finding this "still" time in my own life until recently.

Where I go to be still does not matter so long as I can feel peace and feel the Spirit of the Lord. Being outdoors has been incredible for this. Going for a simple walk in nature by myself allows me to clear my mind and really refresh myself. I said in a previous post, "Nature blesses and fills out our lives. It teaches you things you cannot learn in a classroom and it provides you with a setting where you can grow closer to God and become a better human being without distraction. I feel like time spent in the outdoors acts like an armor of sorts for me, something to motivate me and keep my spirit fresh when I'm faced with my everyday chaos." Going to the temple gives me this peace. When I'm inside the House of the Lord I am able to keep my thoughts free of stress and worry. I can really get in tune with myself and with the Lord. It's a really beautiful thing. If I cannot leave my home, however, I go to my room. So long as I keep it organized and clean, I can feel the Spirit strongly there. 


Throughout time, prophets and disciples of Christ have implemented these things in their lives, and we have the records to show us.

"... As I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord..." (1 Nephi 11:1)

"... Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart." (Luke 2:19)

"And while we meditated upon these things, the Lord touched the eyes of our understandings and they were opened..." (Doctrine and Covenants 76:19)

"And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them." (Luke 24:15)

"And Jesus went up into a mountain, and there he sat with his disciples." (John 6:3)

"Therefore, go ye into your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow..." (3 Nephi 17:3)

"... Nephi went his way towards his own house, pondering upon the things which the Lord had shown him." (Helaman 10:2)

"... I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures..." (Doctrine and Covenants 138:1)

"And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down..." (Acts 16:13)

I imagine the Savior himself going out of the cities and going "up into a mountain" or "by a river side" as he communicated and communed with his Heavenly Father every day and night. I am going to set aside more of my own dedicated time to "be still and know" of my God and my Savior's love for me and of the things he wishes to tell me. I know that as I do this, I will become closer to Him.