Instagram

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Apologetics


"We need fewer spineless apologies ... and more robust apologists."

What does it mean to be an apologist? I do not think it means to apologize for a belief or group. Rather, I think it means to have a defense, a word for something. To "be ready always to give ban answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the chope that is in you." See Paul, Abinadi, Alma, etc. in ancient times. You can also see GK Chesterton, John Stott, Tom Wright, Tim Keller, etc. Yet, in modern times none have really reached the same origins that C.S. Lewis has.

Yes, this post is about him. After I took my C.S. Lewis course through Hillsdale College this last semester (which I would highly recommend), I have become a superfan. Bear with me, for this stuff is freaking awesome.

C.S. Lewis defends Christianity, not merely encourages people to become spiritual. That would be a sort of evangelism. In Christianity (and any religion really, I think), there is proactive evangelism and reactive apologetics. I am studying his Mere Christianity for a book discussion this week, and in this work he almost takes on the mantle of evangelism. It is unusual, for Lewis is quite the intellectual. He himself claimed that he did not have the skill to appeal to the heart and the will of man, to encourage a change of life. I would argue against him on that one, but I think his point is fascinating.

Upon hearing his story for the first time, it is completely evident that Lewis has this ability to empathize with the Atheists and inspire the Christians simultaneously. The cool details of the story of Lewis' conversion are as follows:

He attributes much of his final "turning" to a conversation he had on the brink of his conversion with J.R.R. Tolkien. He moved from atheism to theism through a very gradual change, yet once it hit him that Christianity was not a foreign replacement of his way of life but rather a turning and enlightening of his understanding, he broke through. Through his conversion and sanctification, he broke out of the circle of theism and into the expanded world of Christianity.

There was a little path around Oxford where Lewis would spend his time walking and talking about the philosophies of men with his students and colleagues. I'd say it is beautifully ironic that while in this regular walk of theism, he discovered that Christ was the key to freedom and happiness from this drudgery. The poem "What the Bird Said Early in the Year" by Lewis about "escaping the circle" was referring to the literal circle of Addison's walk. Look it up. I highly recommend pondering it over a few times.

I think I have learned something from this. Sanctification is not replacing an ordinary thing with an extraordinary thing, but changing and growing the meaning of the ordinary thing and looking at it in a different, greater, divine light. Socrates would agree with me here. So would the Lord (see Helaman 3:35).

(Written on May 18th, 2016.)