Instagram

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Olivia “ ” Jensen

(Written in 2012. I WAS A BABY. DON'T JUDGE. It is so interesting to me to read my 14-year old thoughts now, however.)

As someone called, “Olivia,” I can confirm that the expectations are high with such a first name as this. The name itself came to be in classical times, with its derivation and origin connecting to a rich history and meaning. As this name has become more and more well-known, some expect an “Olivia” to be clever and driven because of the name’s archival significance in Shakespeare’s works. Others expect her to be bubbly and fashionable, perhaps because of the name’s present day popularity. However, my name’s meaning has personally resounded with me throughout my life, for it is the person behind the name that defines it.

The name “Olivia” is originally derived from the Latin word “oliva,” which directly translates to “olive” in both English and Italian (Campbell). Although it does translate closely into these languages, it was not introduced as a name until a version was coined by William Shakespeare in his romantic comedy, “Twelfth Night,” written in the approximate year 1601 (“Twelfth Night”). His character, Olivia, played a role at the center of both the comedic and romantic plots of the play. She was a lady of beauty and noble birth, which resulted in the attraction of various suitors who wished for her hand in marriage. Yet regardless of their devotion and admiration in her favor, she used cleverness and ingenuity to reach her goal, which, in her case, happened to be the hand of Cesario. Unfortunately, Cesario turned out to be a woman in disguise, Viola, who had desired to conceal her true identity in order to secure employment after a tragic shipwreck. Indeed, Shakespeare did not portray his “Olivia” as a very observant or sensible character, yet the determination and nerve she possessed certainly made her a force to be reckoned with, which I, Olivia, have been known to be. 
Countless times in my life, I have had the conversation about the middle name, or the lack of it, in my circumstance. As a child in elementary school, I could trick my classmates into confessing their seemingly “embarrassing” middle names because of this. I would tell them mine if they would first tell me theirs. Each time, it seemed a moment of clever triumph in the mind of this spunky eight-year-old. In Junior High, my feelings changed about having a “blank” for a middle name. I felt like my name was empty, like it was missing something compared to the others’ names. I felt gypped, left by my parents to cope in this terrible world of preteens with only two names! It seemed as though I had to wear a name tag everywhere I went, one that said, “Olivia ‘ ’ Jensen.” At that point in time, I also felt some discomfort with my first name, as if it did not belong to me. I was an introverted, brainy, and unfashionable girl, not the one who was first on the invite list to parties, but first on the list of nerds to ask for homework answers. “Olivia” was supposed to be someone classy, confident, and beautiful. It was supposed to come with the name. However, as I look back, it seems as though I had to grow into my name, which began with loving who I was, blank middle name and all. 

The determination and nerve, as were the characteristics of the Shakespearean Olivia, redeveloped into my own character soon after my Junior High School days were finally ended. Over the course of a few years as a teenager, I made many prayerful, life-changing decisions about my career and my education. During this time, I became “Olivia Jensen,” no middle name needed. “Olivia” was now someone who was creative, intelligent, and beautiful by choice. In preparation for this essay, I interviewed each of my five younger siblings in turn, asking what the first thing that came to mind was when they heard, “Olivia.” Each answered, most expectedly, “You.” Yet after further prodding and friendly interrogation, they said that they thought of my ornate cursive handwriting, my drawings, and Italian food. They thought of cello music, olive oil, and scrapbooks. My sole brother, Joshua Jensen, said that the name “Olivia” is fancy, vintage, classy, and, in recent years especially, popular. I’ll have to admit, I was not thrilled to know that “Olivia” is the third most popular girls’ baby name in the United States this past year, for I was a bit reluctant to share this fabulous first name. And yet, I am quite glad they get the chance to own it, as well. As for my last name, it is something I am proud to carry on with me as my maiden name when I marry someday, as a representation of my family legacy. I will not have “three names instead of four,” as my Junior High self once feared. I will have a whole name, for each part of it is a part of me, a person.

In a recent interview, my mother, Debra Jensen, said, “I named you ‘Olivia’ because of its meaning. It means “olive tree,” and it is symbolic of the Atonement of Christ, where Jesus took upon himself the sins of the world.” This event took place in the Garden of Gethsemane, a Hebrew word which translates as “the garden of the oil press.” Both of my parents had similar reasons for giving me my first name. Being two very religious people, they naturally wanted to seamlessly lace their upheld beliefs into the lives of each of their children, a desire which has remained evident to this day. Since then, each of my siblings has had either a biblical name or a spiritually significant name. Yet rather than naming me after a biblical character, as they nearly did, they chose a name with an indirect yet deeper signification. In the early weeks after I was born, my parents began calling me “Elizabeth,” which was their second choice of name, rather than “Olivia.” “Elizabeth” was a family name, a name they both felt comfortable with, and one that had religious meaning; however, they concluded that because I was their first child, it must be only natural that they were feeling slightly unused to naming children. After much prayer and thought, they decided upon the right name. The oil of the olive fruit was used in ancient times for healing, blessing, and anointing. As a Christian, I believe that He is our Healer, our Redeemer; Christ is like an olive tree in this way. This subtle yet profound message that ties my personal religious beliefs to my name has a great meaning to me.

With my name being what it is, I have been able to learn much and benefit greatly from it, although I did not always see it each day. “Olivia” now carries the high expectations with her, she embraces the history of her name, and she is her own person. Olivia ‘          ’ Jensen is a name that I have made my own. For although many others share my name, I have been able to discover the meaning behind it in my own life.