Instagram

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Foster Care Taught Me About Love

(Written on January 5th, 2016.)

This entire post is hard to write, but I want to get my thoughts down while they are fresh.

I came across this gem of a scripture in my study today. It perfectly and completely outlines what I have felt and learned and struggled with throughout my experiences as a foster sibling.

1 John 4:7-21

Beloved, let us alove one another: for blove is of God; and every one that loveth is cborn of God, and knoweth God.
He that loveth not aknoweth not God; for God is love.
In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might alive through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he aloved us, and bsent his Son to be the cpropitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12 aNo man hath bseen God at any time. If we love one another, cGod ddwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we adwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do atestify that the Father bsent the Son to be the cSaviour of the dworld.
15 Whosoever shall aconfess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that adwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he ais, so are we in this world.
18 There is no afear in blove; but perfect clove casteth out fear: because fear hath dtorment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19 We alove him, because he first loved us.
20 If a man say, I love God, and ahateth his bbrother, he is a cliar: for he that loveth not his dbrother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not eseen?
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who aloveth God love his brother also. 
Yesterday my foster sister Jayla left. Six months ago my precious twin foster siblings Nattie and Tino were taken away from us as well. About a year and a half ago, Rebecca left. Sweet Harley is still with us, but based on the recent court meetings and certain rumors going around, the outcome will most likely not be in our favor.

I hate bracing myself for loss. The sadness isn't supposed to be here yet, so there is no reason why I should sabotage current happy thoughts. However, getting my hopes up every single time has only resulted in an even bigger crash when the loss hits.

Why would my family keep putting ourselves through this? Especially after we were so heartbroken from the twins, I did not know how we could keep subjecting ourselves to this pain.

The system is already broken. The government has proven that they cannot parent, and yet they still have decided to undertake the responsibility for raising hundreds of thousands of troubled children in America. I have ideas for system reform, and I could rant about the system all day. However, I am in no position of power (Good thing, too. I'm probably too emotionally charged and angry about this to make any reasonable stance. I'll save that for the future. I will do something about these children someday, though. I will do it. More on that later.)

For now, I am a sister and a daughter. The answer to the question of why is Love. I learned it is okay for pain and love to exist simultaneously. Love is not without sacrifice or hurt. You can love your enemies without fear or anger. You can find peace in pain. God, who is ultimately Love embodied, sent me to this family, sent these children to us, and taught me the importance of eternal love. For that I thank Him daily.


Pictured:

Harley is the blue-eyed ginger boy with the massive adorable head. Jayla is the two-year old in all dresses with the big brown eyes and the fabulous fro. Tino is the handsomest baby ever with his big lips, olive skin, and dark hair and eyebrows. Sweet little Nattie is the gorgeous baby girl with dark red hair, olive skin, and a little face that reminds me of a bunny rabbit. She is so precious. I have included a picture of a baby bunny for reference.


I really love you all.

Sincerely,

Liv